Thursday, December 13, 2012

Module 1: Identify an Emerged Technology

A technology that has emerged in my industry is the interactive whiteboard. An interactive whiteboard or IWB is a large interactive display that combines the simplicity of a whiteboard, power of a computer and front projection” (Promethean, 2011). As an educator, I feel that the use of technology is a tool that can be utilized to enhance my students’ learning.  When using some form of technology my focus is on the students’ learning in order for it to be utilized effectively inside my classroom. As a first grade teacher, I find that my six years old students need active engagement in their learning environment. They require a lot of hands on learning. With that being said, the interactive whiteboard has proven to be that emerging technology that is beneficial inside the classroom.
One challenge that is faced with this emerging technology is providing teachers with proper training on how to use the interactive whiteboard. Most professional development sessions are geared towards the entire entity but when you have only one or two teachers who actually have the technology inside their classroom then cost of training becomes a factor. Another challenge is the actual cost of the interactive whiteboard. The equipment can be expensive and this limits the amount of teachers who can have access to the technology.
After overcoming these hurdles, educators will be able to enhance teaching and learning that they provide their students. These whiteboards will allow the children explore and gain a deeper understanding of what they are being taught
Below, you will find several links and images of the interactive whiteboard:

.

           

Promethean (2011). Interactive whiteboards solutions. Retrieved from:             http://www.prometheanworld.com/server.php?show=nav.15

4 comments:

  1. Hi Charee,

    I find it interesting how districts purchase these technologies and then training teachers how to use them becomes an issue. Teachers training teachers are fine; unfortunately, who wants to use their planning time to do this, stay after school and don’t even think about training this on a Saturday. Training is never a win win situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a mimio. The device is attached directly to my whiteboard which frees up space inside my classroom. Before I had the mimio, I had a promethean board. I did not like it because it was too big for my classroom. I took up a lot of space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Charee,
    I too chose Interactive Whiteboards for Module 1 Blog Assignment. I have conducted research on this device, and my school has actually purchased several Interactive Whiteboards for our classrooms. My students enjoy working with this devices becuase of the great animated features it offers for an engaging lesson/activity.

    I agree with you that teachers are not provided with adequate training necessary to effectively implement Interactive Whiteboards into their classroom lessons. It is disappointing because all students can benefit from learning with this devices. Interactive Whiteboards offer engaging activities, and students are more motivated and active in their learning process when they are using this device.

    Great choice this week. Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charee and Shannon,
    It's interesting that you both chose IWB as your "emerging technology." I too chose the same thing as our district recently started putting them in our classrooms. As you mentioned in your post, they have the potential to be great resources that can enhance student learning; however, lack of training causes teachers not to be enthusiastic about having to do one more thing!

    ReplyDelete