Thursday, December 27, 2012

Emerging Technologies Tetrad

Enhances: What does this technology do that is new?
The document camera is able to display objects, document, or images onto a large screen. It allows teachers to integrate technology inside the classroom. Teachers can engage students by displaying smaller text or objects or showing demonstrations up close and personal.
Obsoletes: What does this technology replace?
The document camera replaces the overhead projector.
Retrieves/Rekindles: What does this technology bring to mind (or retrieve) from the past?
This technology brings to mind the television. When the television was first introduced it allowed people to actual but a picture to the sounds that they were hearing via radio. The document camera gives the visual learner the opportunity to see what is being discussed.
Reverses: What might replace this technology in the future, or what might it cause to occur?
Wireless capabilities will replace this technology in the future. Currently, the document camera needs to be connected to a LCD projector through a computer.

9 comments:

  1. Charee,
    I like the tetrad that you created for the document camera. Although I haven't used a document camera in my classroom yet, it appears that the document camera is very similar to the LCD Projector. I have several students with learning disabilities, and I am currently use my LCD Projector to accommodate are those students who are auditory and visual learners. Do you think the document camera is a device that more school districts will purchase for their teachers to implement into their classroom curriculums? If so, why? Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon,

      I just posted a response to your blog and I answered the question in my response to you! Our school is a Title 1 school so the funds were used to purchase document cameras for all of the classroom teachers. Honestly, I think it is more of a local school decision to purchase rather than a district decision. The reason why I say that is, a lot of the newer schools that were built recently in my school district had smartboards installed inside the classrooms. My school is now purchasing mimio but they again are using Title 1 funds to do so.

      Delete
    2. I think many school systems will purchase what the students need for them to be successful. Present a plan on how you will use the document camera to enhance learning for your students. By showing how you will use it to enhance instruction, you are presenting to the decision makers how this "tool" will aid instruction for language.

      Delete
  2. Hi Charee,
    I like how you rekindled the memory of listening to a radio to visually viewing an image by using a document camera. I used the document camera daily as part of my teaching instruction. I think that it is a wonderful tool that meets the divers learning styles of the learners in the classroom. Is the document camera part of your teaching instruction? Do you know of any teachers in your school who are still using the overhead projector?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cora,

      All of our classrooms teachers were given document cameras. I don't think we have overhead projectors in our school anymore.

      Delete
  3. Charee,
    You traveled back in time with you analysis of early television, but it helps us to remember how technology evolves. As a primary grades teacher, do you use your document camera in one subject more than another, or is your use evenly distributed? Have you allowed your students to use it at all? Why or why not?
    ~Leandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use it pretty evenly across subject areas. No I don't allow the students to use it because it never crossed my mind to have them use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't the document camera retrieve whole class direct instruction?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You indicated that the document camera will flip into wireless. This is already feasible, so I must be misunderstanding you. Can you clarify?

    ReplyDelete